Past Reflections


Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Taking the Plunge

This fall season God seems to be pounding me over the head with something. He seems to be telling me that I'm not taking risks, I'm not taking plunges, and I'm not diving in deep enough; in almost every aspect of my life.

Part of this is because of the theme this year for MOPS which is Plunge! We've been challenged as a steering team and as a MOPS group to take a plunge in the different aspects of our life. Whether it be family, friends, personal, spiritual. I've thought carefully about each area and chosen different things that I need to take the plunge in. I wish I could say I've only chosen one but I've realized there's too many aspects of my life that I feel need to change or improve so I have more than one in each.

The biggest one, the hardest one, the scariest one is the one I'm choosing to share with you today and that is a personal plunge.
I would like to finish my application to Syracuse University School of Journalism and submit it. I initially started my application to Syracuse in January of this year. The basic side to it was easy. The four essays I had to complete however were not. Especially when I had to explain why I took time off from school and what I've been doing since I was last enrolled in school full time. Yikes.
I had a small setback this summer when they changed the common application website and all current open applications were given a few days to either submit or they'd be deleted. Guess who never got around to completing it and guess whose application was deleted.
I restarted that application in August and have finally completed all four of my essays. Application done. Essays done. I'm just getting them proofread and soon my application will be submitted along with my transcripts.

Sometimes I can't believe I'm here. That I'm actually at the point where it's all done and it basically just needs to be sent. I'm nervous. I'm scared. I'm worried. What if I'm not good enough? The School of Journalism has a less than 9% acceptance rate. Yikes.

But I'm never going to be able to be rejected if I don't try. If I don't jump in with both feet and say I'm going to try, just try. Cause all I have to lose is not being accepted and I apply somewhere else. Granted Syracuse is pretty much the university I've always wanted to go to but if I don't get accepted it just means God has someplace greater in mind for me. But if I apply and I get accepted. Wow. How amazing would that be? I get excited and giddy just thinking about getting accepted and starting there in January. There's literally a smile on my face right now.
I just have to do it.

I just have to try, that's what God enables me to do, is to try.

I just have to take the plunge.

I just have to, jump.

********************MAJOR UPDATE**************************
I did it.

I jumped.

Today at 9:10pm, I submitted my application to Syracuse University. I just have a few things left to finalize such as application fee and some test scores sent but other than that, I have officially applied to Syracuse University. I'm giddy with excitement tonight. Nothing can bring me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment