In my ventures as a blogging mommy, I recently became apart of a Valentine's Day Blog Exchange. One of the items I decided I wanted to send was homemade cut-out valentine's cookies. I thought this was an excellent idea for several reasons 1-who doesn't love homemade cookies? 2-my daughter would have a TON of fun helping make them, as would I 3-we would be able to enjoy the leftovers: ie cookie dough, icing & of course the finished product (I made sure to make extras) 4-I'd be expanding my baking abilities. So yesterday I thought was time to finally make them with Analiese. Well, it was quite the experience. We put the flour on the table (of course we put down the mess mat under the table first), set out the cookie cutters & the dough. First thing Analiese did? Stick her fingers in the giant mass of dough & pull whatever dough she had gotten toward herself. While I started cutting out cookies, Analiese proceeded to explore the world of flour. Which in retrospect, I guess wasn't that bad, I could have experienced what my mom had to experience with me (I did in no way shape or form repeatedly visit the kitchen & open the lid on the flour jar & throw flour all over the kitchen (which back THEN had carpeting)). However, after spreading it on herself, the chair, the table, the cookie cutters (which is actually a help to me), she decided to see what it tasted like. She kept putting her forefinger & thumb in the flour, "picking" it up as best she could & putting it in her mouth. She would then make the "yum, yum" noises. After a while, I believe she got tired of this method & simply started bending over & licking the flour up off the table. It was hilarious, trust me. I was able to successfully cut out all the cookies & bake them. After she woke up from her afternoon nap, we decorated them. Or should I say, I decorated a cookie for her, gave it to her & she ate it plus additional frosting while I did the rest. It went pretty well, the first batch was a little crispy but I adjusted & the second batch turned out beautifully! Unfortunately because of the poor quality of the cookie cutters, the hearts looked more like circles. But the x's & o's were near perfection. Analiese & I both thoroughly enjoyed doing this activity together especially the part where we both sat there & ate plain frosting, yum. She loves it just as much as I do. It was a great time together & another way for us to bond & build our mother-daughter relationship. Next week, we will be going to the aquarium & Johnny Rocket's for lunch (it's going to be our Valentine's Date), so look for a post on that!
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















It looks like your daughter was having so much fun!! What a good idea to make cookies with her!
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great weekend and Happy SITS Saturday!
Just stopping by to wish you a happy SITS sharefest day! Hope your Saturday night is fantastic!
ReplyDelete