Past Reflections


Thursday, December 31, 2009

For the Love of Books!

I love books, always have, always will. There are tons of pictures of me when I was 2, laying on my stomach reading kids books. My daughter is now the same way. Since she has been born however, the time to read books has decreased, significantly. Now that she is a bit older, can play by herself, and takes longer naps, I've wanted to start reading again.

I picked up a book a few months ago to help in my one-on-one time with God and assist me in falling back in love with Jesus. The book is Captivating by John & Stasi Eldridge and what I have been able to read so far is amazing. It has purely blown me away.


For Christmas, I received 2 new books. Francine Rivers' new book a Lineage of Grace and Dr. James Dobson The New Strong-Willed Childa Lineage of Grace is about 5 different unlikely women who were used for God's glory. A tale that is very close to my heart lately. The New Strong-Willed Child is because Analiese is already starting to show how very strong-willed (just like her mama) she is. My parents read this book when I was young so as to discipline me without damaging my spirit. I believe they were successful and I would like to achieve the same with my daughter.
I spent a considerable amount of time in Border's using my Christmas gift card to choose 3 books for myself. The first is a favorite author of mine, Charlotte Bronte, Villette. This is purely for my reading enjoyment and to be able to bask in the wonderfulness that is Charlotte Bronte's words. The second is a collection of a few of Oscar Wilde's plays. I honestly only wanted The Importance of Being Earnest, as I love that play very much and laugh hysterically each time I read it, but they only had collections by him. I purchased one that included The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Ballad of Reading Gaol (which I honestly didn't know existed until picking up this book), Lady Windmere's Fan, An Ideal Husband, and Salome. I'm not entirely sure about his writing now that I have confirmed a thought that I had of him    for a bit of time. I don't want to support it so I'm a bit torn. I also purchased a book that I am very excited about, Having a Mary Spirit. It is by the same author who wrote Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. Which my mom read and she said it was excellent and really enhanced her spiritual and prayer life. I am hoping to combine this book with Captivating for an extraordinary personal time with Jesus. This book is one that is going to be extremely helpful to me at this point in my life.
 I hope to read all or most of these books this year and would like to be able to write an occasional post on them as I read. This would be part of my new year's resolution but that is for another post.

1 comment:

  1. My mom is going through "Having a Mary Spirit" and says it is wonderful! I can't wait to read it when she's done.:)

    ReplyDelete