Lately I've been working on calming my spirit and doing so only by Jesus. I've been attempting to do this in all areas of my life but have focused lately on night time.
I usually lay down at night with busy thoughts in my head of all I have to do the next day & beyond. I'm a constant list maker. Even when I've put the list on paper, I'm still going over the list in my head . . . & over & over. This has made me restless at night, unable to sleep & it takes me forever to fall asleep. I hate the feeling of falling asleep anxiously. Sometimes, I remember to pray but I usually go off track & start my list making again. Disappointingly, I can't concentrate on praying for other people at night, during the day, piece of cake, in bed, practically impossible.
Then I saw this on someone's facebook: What if we woke up the next morning with only the things we had given thanks to God for the night before?
Needless to say, it struck me. I do not give God nearly enough thanks for EVERYTHING he has given, which in the past few years amounts to so much more than I could have dreamed possible. I've done plenty of asking God for things, it's high time I starting thanking him for those things I asked for & the things I didn't.
So one night I started thanking God for the basics: My daughter, my parents, a roof over our head, etc. The more I listed, the deeper the thanks went. Instead of just my daughter it was my daughter's laugh, my daughter's heart. Instead of a roof over our head it was a warm, safe place to live where we don't pay rent. Suddenly, the list making was gone, the anxiety was replaced with calm, warm feelings. I could breathe. I fell asleep thanking my Jesus for all that he's done & will do.
That's cool.
I've been doing it every night for the past few weeks especially after I got my new job which keeps me up late. I fall asleep faster, I sleep more soundly (so soundly I don't hear my daughter get out of her bed sometimes!), I am relaxed. I feel God's comfort & love surround me as I drift into another night.
It just feels awesome.
I have fallen in love with giving thanks to my Jesus
Will you join me?
Night all ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment